Tomato and kala masala breakfast casserole
- 1 ½ pounds fingerling potatoes
- Kosher salt
- ¼ cup SVM Basil EVOO
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded if desired, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded if desired, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped peeled ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon SVM Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon SVM Kala Masala
- ½ teaspoon SVM Ground Coriander
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint, more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil, more for garnish
- 6 eggs
- Black pepper, as needed
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with generously salted water. Bring to a boil; cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain. When just cool enough to handle, slice into 1/2-inch-thick rounds.
- While potatoes cook, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until almost tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in peppers and cook 3 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, cumin, kala masala, and coriander; cook 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Simmer over medium-low heat, breaking up tomatoes with a fork, 15 minutes. Stir in mint and cilantro or basil. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Place potatoes in a single layer in a 9-inch-square baking dish. Pour the hot tomato sauce over potatoes. Transfer pan to oven and bake 20 minutes.
- Make six wells in the tomato mixture. Crack eggs into wells and season with salt and pepper. Bake until egg whites are set but yolks are still runny, 8 to 13 minutes, depending on how much the potatoes and sauce cooled before baking. Serve garnished with herbs.